Monday, March 19, 2007

Too Cool for School

My 8 year old son Cam has a reading journal that he records his daily reading in and then once a m0nth has a project to complete celebrating his accomplishments. This month he decided to write a letter to an author. His journal had the usual blackline master and he filled it out.


Cam reads the Droon Series by Tony Abbott.
Being the teacher I told him to write an email to the author and see if the author would write back. Cam doubled his efforts, wrote more and started to take pride in what he had written.

To top it all off the Tony Abbott wrote back. He really wrote back and it wasn't a form letter. My wife and I were impressed and Cam is realizing now just what has happened.
Here is what Cam wrote:

Dear Tony Abbott,
My name is Cameron Harbeck, I'm 8 years old and I really like your Droon Books. My parents recommend books because they love to read. My parents gave me a pack of your books and that is how I started reading your books. I have read lot of your series. The last book I read was Special Addition #2 - "Wizard or Witch?" I have #26-28 and Special Addition #4. I hope I can get these books # 22,23,24,25 and Special Addition #3.
All your characters are really funny but Neal is my favourite. Neal is funny because he eats too much and he does not have power. My favourite place in Droon is the dark lands. I really like Sparr's castle because it is cool and I would like to see the dungeon. I made a poster about your first book for my month end home reading project.
The stories on your Website are really good. Will make another series? I hope you do. Your books are very good.

Here is what Mr. Abbott wrote back:

Hi, Cameron. Thank you for writing to me. I'm glad to know that you are out there enjoying the Droon books. Neal is my favorite in a way, too. I just realized something I hadn't thought of before. Neal's name comes from two food things: his first name is from a restaurant that used to be in New York called O'Neals, and Kroger is the name of a supermarket where I grew up (Ohio), but not around where I live now (Connecticut). You are very cool to like the Dark Lands. I think I should probably write a book that talks about them more; write about what goes on there, how they started, who actually lives there and how. Thanks for the idea. I am starting a new series (in a month or so), and it will be out next year. It's called something like The Haunting of Derek Fish; it's for readers a little older than Droon readers, and will be spooky and funny at the same time. Thanks again for writing. Have a good day!
Tony Abbott

Instant reply for an 8 year old. We just went and filled bought the rest of the series. Thanks Tony Abbott. You are all class. You have made an 8 year old and his parents very happy.

1 comment:

Joseph Miller said...

Thanks for sharing your son's story. I will share this great story with my colleagues in Colorado.

I am many years older than your son, but I remember the satisfaction I felt several years back when I emailed the author of a book I was using to teach an anthro class at University of Colorado. I wrote at midnight (I was frustrated because I wanted to better understand the trends she was describing) by the next morning when I woke there was an email reply. I know how your son feels. Thanks for the great post.